J.S. Chase

J.S. Chase

" ... Crusoe-like object... "

21st, March, 2018


_____

Desert Trails
__


__________

Chase recalls while spending the night at an old haunt,
an artifact encountered in a previous visit.

__


On my first visit here, some years before, I found an old scarecrow
of a fellow in possession, living in a kind of burrow or dugout. A
more Crusoe-like object I never expect to meet, weird as many of
these " desert rats " are to the view. 

 He could not be said to be clad, but antique rags were hung about
 him, and he wore a scrap of debris on his head, under the delusion
that it was a hat. His hair was snow-white, long, and plentiful, his
skin like that of a well roasted fowl, his eyes bright and very blue.
The blue eyes gave an infantile touch, and somehow half prepared
me for his proud announcement that he was a poet. 

 What more he was or had been I never fully knew, though I learned
that he had known such spheres of life as teamster, preacher,
prospector, with others perhaps less blameless. Once only I got a 
taste of his poetic quality but all that I recall is a frequent loud roar 
of  ' O Isrul! ' "

______



No comments:

Post a Comment